Flat irons have become quiet the powerhouse.
Where once flat irons were used to just straighten hair, now they’re used for much more than that.
Now you can use a flat iron to curl and create super tight curls to beachy waves.
But, if you’re not careful, they can also really damage your hair.
The best way to prevent damage to your hair is by using the lowest possible heat setting while also allowing the fewest passes through your hair.
To actually do this, it really comes down to your flat iron plate material — ceramic and titanium are best.
Ceramic plates – offer up a very gentle, far-infrared heat that allows moisture to lock into your hair while emitting negative ions. The result? Smooth strands and less frizz.
Titanium plates – favorited by professional stylists as they’re super smooth, heat up fast, and are lightweight.
Reviews.com did a search for the best flat iron.
How Reviews.com Found the Best Flat Iron
They compiled 132 flat irons from popular beauty websites like Sephora and Ulta, the hair-focused online retailer Folica, and the omnipresent Amazon.com.
From there, they did the following:
- Looked at 1-inch flat irons with heat settings below 300 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut flat irons with ceramic-coated plates or ones where materials could not be confirmed
- Looked at nice-to-have features
- Tried each flat iron on multiple hair types
Here are the results:
The 3 Best Flat Irons
- Best Overall – Bio Ionic 10X Pro Styling Iron
- Best Titanium Flat Iron – Chi Ultra CHI Titanium Straightening Iron
- Best Budget Flat Iron – Hot Tools Digital Salon 1″ Flat Iron with Titanium Plates