It’s totally possible to look good without makeup. But in order to feel confident without makeup, there are 3 things you’ll want:
- Get Clear Skin
- Focus on your overall appearance
Get Clear Skin
- Wash your face twice a day. Yes, it can be extremely tempting to wash your face more than twice a day, but I definitely advise against this as over-washing your face/skin will make your skin dry and irritated which ultimately cause it to look worse and older. Yikes! (Try Clearasil Ultra Rapid Action Daily Gel Wash)
- Moisturize daily. After washing your face, it’s super important to moisturize. A few things to take note of when picking a facial moisturizer:
- Make sure you’re choosing a quality facial cream that preferably has something with SPF in it.
- Pick something that fits your skin type. (For winter and dry skin try Clinique Moisture Surge Intense Skin Fortifying Hydrator)
- Exfoliate once a week (no more than that). Exfoliation not only removes dead skin cells from the surface of the skin but it leaves your face looking fresh and radiant. When exfoliating, refrain from scrubbing too hard as it will irritate your skin. After exfoliation, if you can go makeup free, do it! Your skin will thank you later. 🙂
- Use toner. Using a toner will help restore your skin’s natural pH balance. When choosing a toner, look for something that is alcohol-free as these tend to be less drying on the skin and will help to even out skin tone. (Try dermalogica Multi-Active Toner)
- A toner appropriate for your skin type can be used everyday, after cleansing and before moisturizing.
- Remove your makeup everyday. For the days you do choose to wear makeup, this is an absolute must! Be sure to remove it everyday before bed.
- Take care of those pimples. Check out over-the-counter spot creams and gels that contain ingredients such as benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid since they both tend to be extremely effective for clearing acne.
- Wear sunscreen. You should wear sunscreen every day, even if it’s cold, cloudy or snowy, as the UVA/UVB rays can still damage your skin.
- Develop a skin regimen for your face. Whatever regimen you choose, make sure it not only works for your skin type but you actually stick to it.
- Stop touching your face! This is the one habit that so many people are guilty of, so don’t feel too bad. But this can seriously affect the quality of the skin.
- Avoid picking at spots, rubbing your forehead, or simply resting your chin on your hand are all things which add oil and bacteria to the skin, causing it to break out and look greasy.
- Also, avoid rubbing at your face as it can also loosen the skin, causing premature wrinkles. Yuck!
- Shave your face. Yep! If you have some fuzzies on your face, shave it with an eyebrow razor. You can do this 1-2 times a month. But if you barely have any hair on your face, don’t even bother with this step.
- Tweeze or wax your eyebrows. By keeping your eyebrows tidy by removing any stray hairs, this can do wonders for your face by framing your eyes and making them a focal point.
- Wash your hair and use dry shampoo when needed. It’s super important to keep your hair looking healthy and clean so wash your hair at least once a week and for the days you can’t wash your hair, use dry shampoo. (Try Sephora’s Best Shampoo of 2015)
- Curl your eyelashes. When using an eyelash curler, hold in place for 10 to 20 seconds, which will leave your lashes curled and your eyes looking wider.
- Exfoliate your lips. Your lips will stand out especially when they are smooth and crack free. You can also do this when you are exfoliating your face. When doing so, use a toothbrush on your lips to remove dead skin.
- Use eye-drops. Whitening your eyes can brighten up your eyes and give an overall impression of health and alertness.
- Brush your teeth. This should go without saying but you never know these days. Remember to brush your tongue with your toothbrush and also use mouthwash to prevent bad breath.
Focus On Your Overall Appearance
- Get a healthy tan. Yes there is such a thing. Look for facial moisturizers which will slowly build up a natural-looking tan and leave you looking sun-kissed, no matter the weather. (Try L’oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Serum)
- Dress well. Remember, you look your best when you feel your best so wear clothes that you feel comfortable in and that fit you perfectly. Don’t try too hard to fit in with the latest trends or squeeze yourself into tight fitting clothes that obviously don’t fit.
- Style your hair. And make sure your hair is trimmed and kept neat.