Are you looking for a mascara that just totally takes your lashes ick to long, thick and luscious?
Reviews.com consulted with four beauty experts, read dozens of publications/ reviews, and tested 15 of the top formulas out there.
To find the best mascara’s on the market, that’s why.
Here are the 7 best mascaras:
- Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Mascara (Best Overall)
- Lancôme Definicils High Definition Mascara (Best Lengthening Mascara)
- Maybelline Great Lash Washable Mascara (Best Drugstore Mascara)
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara (Best Mascara for Sensitive Eyes)
- Blinc Mascara (Best Thickening Mascara)
- Dior Diorshow Mascara (Best Volumizing Mascara
- YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils (Best False-like Lashes)
How The Best Mascara Was Found
Reviews.com checked out user ratings on e-commerce sites and retailers like:
In addition to that, they also reviewed sites like MakeupAlley and TotalBeauty.com and took results from any “best of” articles in beauty publications and blogs, including Glamour and Into The Gloss to create a list.
After creating a list, they cut any formulas that didn’t meet basic expectations.
So that meant if it didn’t meet any of the following, the product was out:
- go on seamlessly
- make a difference in length, thickness, and volume
- stay on all day
They also ditched anything that had poor user ratings on sites like Sephora and Ulta.
From there, they consulted with industry experts like:
- Susan Raffy – Sephora team member and cosmetic chemist for over 25 years on behalf of mainstream beauty brands like Physicians Formula.
- Jennifer Duffy – an international bridal and runway makeup artist with more than 25 years of experience working with brands like L’Oreal, Shiseido, and Clinique.
- Melissa Smith – the owner and makeup artist behind Dollface by Melissa.
Mascara Reviews and Testing
To test each mascara, every option was applied every morning and kept it on for about 13-15 hours without reapplying.
Each option was also worn for one day while normal activities were completed such as:
- Morning walks to the coffee shop
- Working at desks
- Periodically misting their faces with rosewater
- Going out for dinner and drinks in the evening
Note: No other lash products, like primers, conditioners, or curlers, were used during testing.
Each product was then judged on how well it did in three areas:
- lashes looked longer
- separated and defined each lash
- thickened lashes without clumping
What Else You Need to Know About Mascara
The formula names aren’t all hype.
It isn’t just marketing mumbo jumbo, there’s a purpose.
All mascaras have:
- pigment to darken lashes
- polymer to coat lashes with a film
- a preservative to keep the product from going bad
- and a thickener, possibly wax.
However, the blends do differ based on the end goal.
Makeup artist Troy Surratt tells Allure:
“The resins and waxes in a curling mascara lift and bend stick-straight lashes, while a lengthening formula’s nylon fibers act as extensions on short ones.”
Smaller brushes = better for lengthening, while thicker brushes = add volume.
Waterproof mascaras should be saved for special occasions.
They really are a tough product and can do damage to your lashes if it’s not remove properly.
Worried about your lash health? Use a mascara primer first.
You can grow longer, fuller eyelashes without a prescription.
Try a lash enhancer like Peter Thomas Roth Lashes To Die For Turbo Nighttime Eyelash Treatment.
Romana Hai started blogging full-time in 2013 . Fashion Ambitions is more than a blog and more-or-less acts as a portfolio containing brands/collaborations and achievements. Although Romana was born and raised in New York, she currently resides in the Financial District of Boston, MA. Romana attended Penn State University and graduated in 2010 with two degrees: Economics from the Smeal College of Business and Telecommunications from the College of Communications. You can reach Romana at firstname.lastname@example.org.