Registering Your Domain Name + The Costs of Blogging
Before creating a WordPress blog on Bluehost, you’ll want to think about your domain name.
Put some serious thought before purchasing.
After you’ve decided, click here purchase your domain and create your blog!
By clicking on the link above, you’ll be able to select your plan and create a FREE domain when you choose at least 12 months of hosting.
And if you’re worried about the 12-month hosting commitment, it’s actually a deal.
And the packages get better when you increase the commitment timeframe, so in the end, the free domain is just the icing on the cake.
The best and cheapest option we suggest is the “Basic” plan. At the moment, the plan goes for $3.95 per month via our link (click here). All costs are due upfront.
For now, stick to the “Basic” plan as it’s all you really need.
The “Plus” and “Prime” plans are more expensive and do offer more storage options for things like email and the ability to create unlimited email accounts, but you can always change your plan at a later time when it’s actually necessary.
Once you have selected the best plan for your blogging needs, you click enter in the domain the blog name of your choosing.
Other Blogging Costs
Other blogging items you may want to consider purchasing are:
- Domain Privacy Protection – This feature keeps your contact information private and costs $0.99 per month.
- Codeguard Basic – For $2.99 a month, you can have your site backed up daily (ideal if you are planning to create a lot of content).
- Comodo PositiveSSL – Allows you to maximize your site’s trustworthiness and Google search ranking with a dedicated IP and SSL certificate. The cost at the moment is $3.33 per month.
If you are truly creating a blog, the other items Bluehost sells isn’t necessary, so we recommend unchecking the following:
- SiteLock Security
- Bluehost SEO Tools Start
We highly recommend signing up for at least a 12-month commitment, here’s why:
- you receive a free domain name
- lower pricing
- and you don’t have to deal with your website expiring on a monthly basis.
So, by now you should have:
- Clicked on our link to Bluehost
- Clicked the “Get Started Now” button
- Selected the package that best suits your needs
- Entered a domain of your choosing
- Entered your personal and payment information
- Selected the details of your package (i.e. account plan and add-ons)
Next, you’ll be asked to enter a password (please choose something you will remember and is secure).
Connecting Your domain and Your Hosting
Note: You can skip this step if you purchased your domain directly via Bluehost.
If you purchased your domain through a provider like GoDaddy, you will need to connect your domain to your hosting account.
Installing WordPress on Bluehost
Thankfully, Bluehost makes this process super easy and of course, it’s FREE.
After you have created your password, follow these steps:
- Bluehost will ask you to pick a theme
- Click on “Start Building”
- Choose from “Business” or “Personal”. Or, click the “I don’t need help.”
Your WordPress blog should now be created!