An anti-aging face serum is a sophisticated product with handpicked ingredients that improve the quality of your skin and reduce the effects of aging such as wrinkles and blemishes. With regular use, a good anti-aging formula can bring back the inherent youthfulness of your skin.
And while there is a deluge of anti-aging serums and creams on the market, not all products are created equal. Not only do ingredients play into the effectiveness of the cream, but it’s also the science behind the creation of the product.
So, if you’ve never used an anti-aging cream before or are looking for a better product, you might find the following information helpful.
Types of anti-aging creams and serums
Where do we begin? There are many different types of face serums to choose from today, each having its own specific benefits.
You can use an anti-aging serum to target almost any age-related skin change such as:
- dark spots,
- crow’s feet,
- laugh lines pigmentation,
- and oxidative damage.
And with such variety out there, it can easily become overwhelming to find a product that you feel confident about applying to your face.
The easiest way to find a good fit when shopping anti-age serums or creams is to find a product that suits your skin type.
Choose a serum if you like a lightweight product that disappears quickly into your skin. In fact, serums work best on normal, oily, and combination skin types.
And if you have dry skin and/or like a thicker consistency in your skincare creams, we recommend going for a cream formula.
An anti-aging product can have different ingredient combinations based on the intended results.
For example, an antioxidant and sun-protective anti-aging serum would be rich in vitamin C while a firming cream would be rich in collagen-enhancing compounds called peptides.
In recent years, age-defying skincare has advanced exponentially, and the science behind creating high-quality anti-aging cream products has evolved to study human DNA to understand, control, and even stop skin aging.
Some breakthrough ingredients found in high-quality anti-aging products include the following:
- TAM-818: Researchers have found that the Telomerase Activating Molecule can slow down and even reverse the process of aging. Skincare products with Telomerase activators have been seen to improve skin firmness, smoothness, elasticity in clinical testing. Also, they were found to reduce forehead wrinkles and crow’s feet.
- COQ10: This is an enzyme which protects the skin against sun damage and reduces wrinkles and fine lines caused by aging.
- Alpha/beta hydroxy acids: Known for their superb exfoliating properties, hydroxy acids enhance the production of collagen and improve skin texture by eliminating dead skin cells.
Other common ingredients in anti-aging creams include:
- natural extracts,
- vitamin C,
- and Niacinamide.
For best results, invest in a regenerative anti-aging formula that contains high-performing ingredients.
And before making the purchase, read reviews, determine if the company’s claims are backed by science and then make your choice.
What does a good anti-aging serum do?
If used as advised, a quality formula can deliver the following benefits for aging skin.
- Reverses the typical signs of aging, such as fine lines and spots
- Makes the skin visibly firmer by boosting the production of collagen
- Heals dryness and nourishes the skin from within
- Reduces wrinkles and controls the formation of new wrinkles
- Repairs skin at the cellular level and brings back its natural glow by eliminating dullness
- Reduces pigmentation and other signs of sun damage
- Boosts the natural regeneration process, restoring the skin’s ability to repair and heal itself
- Fortifies the skin against further damage by improving skin health at the cellular level
How to use a serum?
If you’re looking to revitalize your skin and reduce the visible signs of aging, a quality serum can be a worthy investment that will bring visible and long-lasting results. To see results, it’s crucial to have a proper skincare routine. Here is a quick and easy skincare regimen that will help you gain back beautiful skin.
In the morning
Wash your face with a chemical-free facial wash and pat dry with a soft cloth. Exfoliate gently to remove dead cells, which will enable an anti-aging product to work more effectively.
Next, take a couple of drops of serum in your palm and apply it to your entire face in upward strokes. Apply the serum on your neck as well, and then proceed to use a good sunscreen.
After washing your face thoroughly and patting it dry, apply the anti-aging formula across your face and neck, followed by a good moisturizer.